Thursday, August 28, 2014

Grief's Work

And when the work of grief is done,
The wound of loss will heal.

When my dad passed, surprisingly grief did not linger. I don't know why, I loved him deeply and know he loved me. Perhaps it was because I was so busy with Sam, or helping my mom, but before I knew it, the wound had healed. 

With Sam it's been profoundly different. I thought about what grief would be like for me before he passed. Deep grief, a mother's grief. Not my he's in heart failure I know what's coming pre-grief. I'm talking, earth shattering, life changing, my only child is gone grief. I thought I could somehow get my mind around it enough to brace myself. I couldn't. Seventeen months into this, and I have days where I am convinced that grief has taken me on as it's project, and there is no date of completion.

No comments:

Post a Comment