Sunday, August 10, 2014

"Before you know what kindness really is you must lose things" "Kindness" by Naomi Shihab Nye

Sam was born with both physical and cognitive impairments, I know kindness when I see it.

When he was alive.....
Kindness was the child who when unprompted by a parent would want to play with him.

It was the parents who led by example, teaching their children to love everybody.

It was the "normal" kids at school who chose to spend their lunch with him.

The volunteers at Miracle League, and his therapeutic riding center who donated unselfishly so he could play ball and ride.

It was the family and friends who made it possible for my husband and I to have time to ourselves.

It was the medical professionals and teachers who helped us over many, many hurdles.

After he passed....
It is my husband, whose patience seems to have no limits.

It is my closest of friends who know just when to swoop in, or stay away.

It is the stranger in the card aisle at Walgreen's who sees me crying, and gives me a knowing smile.

It is a gentle breeze. The soft nuzzle of a horse. A cocktail at the end of the day. A warm bath. A random text. A deep breath. A soft kiss on my forehead.

No comments:

Post a Comment